How to change a doorknob
Knobs are the most comfortable and versatile tools for open and close the interior doors at home or office. Its practicality is such that, with just a turn of the key, it allows us to block the spaces with a minimum degree of security. However, everyday use can be really harmful to these objects; because can easily deteriorate.
If for any reason, one of your knobs has reached the point where it needs a replacement; continue reading. In this article we will teach you how to change a doorknob easily. Alright, let’s get started!
Step by step: How to change a door knob
Replacing the interior knobs is one of those tasks that in a general sense are quite simple; although they require following a series of steps in an orderly fashion for the result to be optimal. For this reason, we advise you to be patient throughout the procedure.
Materials and Tools:
- Screwdriver, this must be suitable for the type of screws used by the knob (generally they are star).
- Set of punches or slotted screwdriver.
- New knob, to replace the old one.
Step by Step:
Step 1: Start by uninstalling the implements that hold the doorknob to the door. Although there are many models, the vast majority work in a similar way. Here are some methods for you to proceed to remove the knob correctly:
- Screw method: Start by removing all visible screws. You’ll find them around the circumference of the latch and are usually on either side of the door. In some cases, the location of the screws may vary; although they are generally found on the doorknob plate on the side of the door or on the neck of the knob.
- Hole method: If after examining your knob, you notice that there are no screws or other types of hardware; but a few small holes, these will be responsible for releasing the knob. You will need to locate a pin that fits into the holes, and then you will need to push the knob in various directions. Moving it should expose a plate that can be released by pressing into the holes.
- Latch Method: Using a flat tool like a flat screwdriver or knife, pry open the round plate around the doorknob. This plate should be easily broken or in any case raised enough to be removed. Once you have removed it, you will be able to see a metal plate that has been covered with a thin, circular sheet. In this there should be a hole or slit with a visible latch, when you locate it pull the latch down and the frame will separate easily.
- Coil method: Using your hands or a wrench, unscrew the round plate around the knob, clockwise. When this has been loosened, rotate the rest until it is separated from the main structure; you will have to repeat this process on both sides. Now, you will see a hole in the knob coil that is exposed. Turn the knob until you see a spring or latch inside the hole and press it down using the screwdriver. Then pull the knob out, it should come out without problems.
Step 2: To begin, you will need to find the screws that hold the doorknob to the door. These are usually on either side of it; then unscrewed and remove the trim. That is to say, the outer plate of the knob that keeps its closing mechanism protected from blows and other incidents; and that also gives it a neat finish. If you are replacing the trim with a new one, you will need to make sure it matches the style of the door.
Step 3: Now, proceed to remove the doorknobs. Once you have released the mechanism, you can pull and remove both knobs. Then set them aside.
Step 4: Proceed to remove the bolt jointly. This is the metal plate on the back of the door, where a latch or latch usually protrudes. To remove it, unscrew the screws at the top and bottom of the skid. Now and being very careful not to deform it, remove the plate by levering it with a flat screwdriver.
Step 5: When you finish removing the joint latch, you can remove the internal mechanism and you are done. Now, all that remains is to install the new knob following the manufacturer’s instructions.
Tips on how to change a doorknob
Although these tasks are simple, many times they can be complicated if we do not have the suitable tools or if we are impatient. To make the change process even easier, follow these tips:
- If you do not have much experience buying knobs, it is best to take the model that you have disassembled to the hardware store. This will serve as a model, with which you can buy the same or similar one; in this way you will avoid inconveniences.
- In the event that your door is dark brown, the best option is to opt for knobs in golden tones. On the contrary, if the door is of a light or cold color, the best option will be a knob in metallic tones.
- You must make sure you need a knob with a handle for an interior or exterior door; since its level of security is completely different. The outer knobs must have a base that is difficult to remove, in this way you will be sure that no criminal will be able to disassemble it.
- When you remove the knob, you should make sure that it has been painted on the outside. If so, you will need to address this before proceeding.
- Before removing the knob, do an appraisal. In most cases, the shape of it will tell you how you can remove it.
- Remember to wear protective glasses. Although the procedure is relatively simple, you will be working with wood and metals, so it is better to be careful of the pieces that can fly away.
- Be very careful not to damage the door while you are working.
If at any point in the process you find yourself with that you can’t remove a piece because it does not yield or is stuck; don’t panic do not try to remove it by force. It is best to go slowly and apply moderate force, for this the best option is to leverage; as we have indicated throughout the step by step.
Finally, if you have questions about which knob to buy To replace the old one, you can ask your trusted hardware store for advice. Surely a qualified person can help you find a good knob that suits your needs.