How to disable a lock without breaking it
Is it logical to disable a lock? Shouldn’t they be installed to function properly? We would say that both questions have accurate and functional answers depending on the purpose for which we want that lock to work. The important question is Do you want to disable a lock without breaking it? If the answer is “yes” feel at home and carefully read each of the methods used to block the lock without breaking it.
In general, those who need to disable a lock, be it on doors, drawers, cabinets, desks, etc., what they seek is to make the lock “locked”, thus preventing access to outsiders in order to maintain more security what is stored or by the mere fact of render useless a lock that is currently unwanted or will not be reopened for a long time.
That is why, if you want to disable a lock, but are afraid of breaking it, we tell you that you can put aside all those thoughts because the methods that we will put on the table do not have to do with the use of drills, hammers or other objects or tools that damage the lock until breaking it, no, quite the opposite, you will know methods that will obviously make the lock not work properly but they will not do damage to the degree of breaking it.
The only detail to take into account is that assuming that you will not break it, what if it will happen is that applying the various methods that we will teach you will cause the lock to lock and the mechanism to fail, so you may have to send it to disassemble and check to clean it or fix it so that it works properly again in case you want it to reopen.
What are the methods you can apply?
To be honest They are so simple that you will not have complications When exercising any of them, all you have to do is apply them with caution so that only the lock is locked and is unusable.
Know which are the most used methods and to which we are referring:
- 3 in 1 oil: lubricants are necessary for the internal mechanism of the locks to work correctly, that the key turns without any problem is necessary, but for this there are lubricants or special oils for locks so What would happen if we applied another type of oil? Well, the result will be quite problematic, but if what we want is to make the lock unusable, this method is perfect for the task. What are you going to do? With the help of a straw or soda straw, you are going to introduce a little ordinary oil through the keyhole, the 3 in 1 go like a glove, because by smearing the entire internal structure, with the passing of the days the dust will accumulate until it locks and it is impossible to open with the key.
- Use chopsticks: yes, the most common and common thin toothpicks used for decorations or pastries are so easy to find that you will most likely have some of them in your own home. Well, this method consists of splitting a large number of toothpicks, try to make them very small pieces so that they can easily be strained through the keyhole. Accumulate several of them inside the lock so that nobody can enter using a key, because when trying to turn it will be impossible for the pistons to line up to open.
- Super glue: the super glue does usually work for various activities to be carried out and obviously it could not be missing in this Top, since to make a lock unusable it also works 100%. What will you do with the super glue? You see, as these usually come with a thin beak to be able to use the glue without getting to smear everything or nothing that we want, you can easily insert the tip into the entrance of the lock and then press little by little while the glue comes out and this creeps through all the walls of the internal structure of its mechanism. Super glue is known for how strong and resistant it is, so you can realize that, if you use it, it will be impossible for that lock to open again unless we call a locksmith for maintenance and cleaning.
- Sand: as you read it, using sand to disable a lock is an excellent idea to ensure that no one can access it, but without actually breaking it. Look for a sand that does not have lumps, that is rather fine so that in this way it can be inserted through a toothpick or straw into the lock. Being the sand something so tiny and fine when accumulating will make it impossible for the key to turn to openIn fact, it will feel like the lock is stuck.
- Metal shavings: do not be scared by the name, much less how to get metal powder, since you only have to have a metal piece to which you do not use any and with the help of a coarse sandpaper you will have to sand part of the metal until this little by little loosen the chips. When you have accumulated a certain considerable amount, you can apply the same procedure as the previous method (that of sand) and introduce all the content with the help of a straw so that the entire mechanism is blocked or stagnant inside.
- Remove the knob lock: Another option to take into account is that, if you do not want to apply anything inside the lock, what you can do is with the help of a screwdriver disassemble only one part of the lock, in this case it would be the knob, avoiding So someone can insert the keys to open, but make sure before leaving the lock to have more reinforcement. When you decide to use the lock again, you just have to reinstall it.
- Split key: if you have a key that is out of date or slightly bent, you can make it after using a little force to open the lock to break inside it, making it impossible for the lock to be opened by the key that obstructs the way to open . Obviously it can be a somewhat complicated method but it can be applied in the same way, the only thing is that you will leave the key broken and then you will have to remove it (try to have a copy before doing this method).
Warnings to take into account
The idea of disabling a lock without breaking it sounds quite compelling, but as a warning or advice you should know that they are methods you can only use on locks that are yours, those from home or work that belong to you or those that insure belongings only yours, by this we mean that it is important to respect the locks of others; with this we do not encourage to damage or spoil locks of people outside of you. The important thing about learning to carry out these types of activities is that they can be applied in necessary and reasonable cases, so they are not there to make practical jokes to other people.
In conclusion, you can disable almost any type of lock if you see it necessary, be it to have greater security within the home or at work, so remember, that you are only avoiding breaking it and doing the damage something greater, but yes or yes After you want the lock to work properly and open naturally, you must disassemble it and have it checked so that the corresponding maintenance can be carried out and then you can use it again.