How to know if my lock is anti-bumping and secure
Currently, bumping has become the method most used by thieves to enter homes and businesses. According to statistics provided by the police, it is estimated that 80% of home robberies are carried out using the bumping method. This situation leads us to understand why so many companies in the world have taken anti-bumping locks so seriously.
At this point, it is entirely rational for you to be curious as to whether your lock is normal or anti-bumping. That is why in this article, we will tell you everything you need to know about anti-bumping locks, how to recognize them, what are the best brands, what characteristics make them stand out and much more. Read on and learn how to know if your lock is anti-bumping and secure.
What is the bumping method?
It consists of a non-forced entry system, through which a person enters a special key called bumping into the lock. These keys are designed in such a way Thus, all your teeth are exactly the same and for this reason, they can fit into 90% of the locks that are available on the market.
To use the bumping method, the person simply inserts the key into the cylinder and hits the head of the key, using a blunt object (such as a hammer). The kinetic energy of the blow will be transferred to the key and in turn, to the bolts inside the cylinder; which will be aligned according to the master key of the lock. All this action results in the key turning and we can open the door easily.
This technique has been used by professional locksmiths for more than a decade; being his favorite to open doors in which his original key has been lost, forgotten or broken. The problem is that over time, thieves have appropriated this method, making it their own.
Characteristic features of anti-bumping locks
To find out if your lock is anti-bumping, you don’t need to go to a locksmith; It will be enough for you to analyze its characteristics a bit so that you can confirm it. Here are some clues that will guide you in the identification:
- Wrench: If when looking at your key, you notice that the teeth are standard, it means that your lock is common. An anti-bumping key has distinctive characteristics, such as reliefs or side segments that prevent unlocking the door with methods such as picks.
- Multipoint: Generally, they have several anchors in different sections of the door; this way it is more difficult to force. This feature also provides you with extra security, since thanks to its design it is almost impossible to use leverage.
- Lock: Anti-bumping locks have more than one section of bolts, which do not necessarily have to be aligned to open the door.
- Digital or electronic: They are currently the most advanced locks on the market. They do not use a key, instead they can be opened by inserting alphanumeric codes, with mobile applications, voice recognition or fingerprint.
- Mark: Generally, anti-bumping locks are designed by reputable companies. Be wary of strange, unfamiliar, or extremely inexpensive brands. On the other hand, if you want to know more about the lock you have installed, check the brand and model online, you will surely find detailed information.
- Anti-bumping: They are designed to prevent them from being opened using the bumping method. There are many models, types and brands of these locks; but all of them have the distinctive feature that their cylinder is much more resistant to attempts by criminals to force them. They are generally more robust than a common lock. Additionally, it lacks a toothed key; instead it uses a multi-hole wrench to move the bolts.
An anti-bumping lock will meet the highest security standards. Especially in the incorporation of multiple bolts along the cylinder, which will not open only when they are aligned. Also, we must consider the additional elements that we can integrate into our anti-bumping lock; as in the case of Lince shields or magnetic projectors; which give an extra security to the cylinders, protecting them from sabotage such as drills, picks, silicone, manipulations, among others.
TOP 3: The best brands of security cylinders
Although there are hundreds of recognized brands in the world, there are three that stand out from the rest as the best. Knowing about these can help you in the task of recognizing if your lock is anti-bumping or if not, they can serve as a reference to acquire one in the future. Brands most recognized today, thanks to its quality, price and safety level are:
- Tesa: Among the models of the German brand, the TK and TX stand out, as the most popular and sold in the world. Its most distinctive feature is the double anti-panic clutch, which allows the bolt to be opened even when there is a key inside. Tesa models have UNE-ENE 1303 certification, which not only guarantees their quality, but also a maximum level of safety. For its part, the TK100 (considered the best bowler on the market), incorporates a piece of fired steel that completely rules out theft with a drill. In addition, the lower part of the lock is made of steel, which prevents it from being extracted or broken.
- Kaba: The design of this prestigious lock is completely anti-bumping; Due to its structure and components, they are designed in such a way that it is impossible to turn the key if it is not the original one. Additionally, it incorporates a maximum security reversible point wrench, with 22 pairs of bolts.
- Lynx: Although the brand has excellent bowlers, we must highlight the C6 cylinder over the rest. This high security lock incorporates a solid steel bar that prevents any attempt to extract or break by criminals. Additionally, the rest of the structure is made of the highest quality stainless steel.
If after conducting an appraisal of your locks, you have concluded that they are anti-bumping, we must congratulate you because your home is protected against crime. If, on the other hand, you have discovered that you have common locks; We invite you to reinforce the security of your home by installing an anti-bumping lock.
Don’t be swayed by any model that promises to protect you from bumping; They must have full assurance that it will meet the objective; For this reason, it is better to trust prestigious brands. Our main intention should be to provide our home with protection against the methods most used by criminals: bumping, lock picks, drills, breaks, pry, extraction, among others. Therefore, if you want to increase the security level of your home, do not hesitate to change your locks for anti-bumping ones.