How to open a door if the key won’t turn
There are many techniques to open a door if we have lost the key or left it on the other side; the alternatives come and go. However, the situation changes when it comes to possible damage that makes opening impossible.
Door locks can suffer certain drawbacks that, if not attacked in time, become permanent damage. Have a toolkit, it won’t be enough for open a door if the key won’t turn, How to solve it?
Let’s take a closer look at what to do.
Lubricate the internal mechanism
If at insert the key into the cylinder to open the door, it does not turn and remains stuck, it is best not to force the rotation, as this could deform it or in the worst case, break it.
For this reason, resorting to the lubrication process is a good option, since many times locks rust or dry out the internal mechanism, due to the exposure to the sun that some suffer. This basically happens with the front or rear doors.
It is recommended to:
- Find a lubricating oil and an old rag.
- Remove the key from the lock. If when inserting it it does not turn and much less comes out, it is probably because it got stuck, then, apply the lubricant on top; in such a way as to wet both the lock and the key itself.
- If, on the other hand, you can remove it, apply the oil to the entrance of the lock so that it enters the internal mechanism. It also moistens the key for better movement.
- Try to apply enough, no matter it spills out the back side. The idea is to lubricate even the smallest part it contains.
- Let the oil act for 30 minutes to loosen the pieces a bit.
- Once the lock and key are lubricated, proceed to move it sideways, with the sole intention of turning the cylinder.
- Repeat the process several times to allow the oil to run through the entire lock.
- Then, try to open as if it had never presented any difficulty.
Another way to lubricate can be with the use of graphite, you can locate a pencil and do the following:
- Remove the key from the lock.
- Rub all the teeth and the spaces between them with the pencil, as if you were painting them. Cover the graphite key as much as you can.
- Then insert it into the lock.
- Spin it.
- Remove it and repaint it.
- Insert it again and move it again.
- You can do this procedure repeatedly to expand the graphite inside the lock and lubricate it extensively.
- After making sure to soak everything, you can enter the key to open.
Believe it or not, graphite is a very effective lubricant, capable of reducing friction between metals and lubricating their bodies for a better glide.
Activate the lock using a key with the bumping technique
If you want a slightly faster solution, with which you activate the cylinder pins to eliminate the lock that it must have, this technique is indicated And you should not have a bumping key because you only need the original lock key and a hammer.
When this type of problem occurs, and we cannot make our key turn, the use of this technique can be the solution to the problem. What you should do is:
- Find the key to the lock.
- Insert it into the slot in the lock.
- With a hammer or other heavy object, hit it firmly. The impact will lift the pistons and unlock their position.
- Then try turning the key. If the blow took effect, the pins will be located and free the cylinder, allowing the rotation.
- If the knock was enough, the key will turn and when you give the turn that opens the latch, the door will finally open.
The key may not turn because you are using the wrong key, so go out of your way, check the key and make sure it is the right one. If it is a copy, it may be faulty and making it impossible to open the door.
Make sure using another copy, if you don’t have it on hand, you will have to create a bumping key with the copy you are using. How do you do it?
- File the faucet saws, lowering it and leveling all the teeth. They must be at the same level.
- Insert the key in the lock.
- Use a hammer and hit the key so that it reaches the bottom. The hit will shake the pistons and reset them
- Turn the key to the last point and open the door.
If with all that we have indicated you have not achieved anything with your door, it is time that you consider calling a locksmith. Seeking professional help is undoubtedly a very acceptable option.
Sometimes, to save a little money, we go to do certain jobs ourselves, but it must be recognized that, if we do not know in detail everything about the subject or we do not feel fit for the purpose, it is best to seek help.
A specialist will not only do the job well, but could advise us on how to take care of our doors to avoid future damage.
It is inevitable that locks will deteriorate, especially when there are so many influencing factors. That is why these mechanisms deserve maintenance from time to time, either to replace, repair or lubricate them. This leads us to detect possible failures, so that it can be managed the proper functioning of the same.
Regardless of the faults, what matters is learning how to preserve them to guarantee their durability. For this we recommend the following:
- Perform a periodic check on your doors and locks.
- Keep these locksmith tools at home.
- Try to use good quality locks, to avoid so much jamming and damage. Take into account that the safety of the family is not an element that can be recovered, it is best to guarantee it with the use of first-rate materials.
- Avoid harsh treatment of doors.