How to open a Phillips plate
Safety is always first and the badges are in charge of ensuring our physical integrity and also preserving our valuables. For this reason, it is normal that we have one in each area to be guarded, such as a room and a deposit. Although the most important in terms of safety, it is the main door plate.
That is why the loss of the key or the plate getting stuck can generate moments of despair and uneasiness. Reason why we have decided to prepare this article in which we bring you some recommendations on how to open a Phillips plate.
Phillips is a company dedicated to the manufacture of security systems such as bolts and plates. It is one of the most popular, so you should not be surprised if you have at least one plate of this brand at home.
Methods to open a Phillips sheet
The methods for opening Phillips plates are not different from the rest, as long as we know what type of lock it is and what is the problem that prevents it from opening. For example, one of the main reasons for which we cannot open a lock is because we lose the key. It can also be because the handle is broken or because it simply has a faulty internal mechanism.
In this case, we have to find alternative methods to open the sheet. Here are some of them:
Lubricate the sheet
This is a technique that is applied when we insert the key but the lock stays locked or the key itself locks. So it shows no intention of turning.
To start we need to have a lubricant on hand. The ideal is to have one for veneers, such as graphite powder, but if it is not your case and you need to open it, you can use a multipurpose lubricant; The problem with these is that after unlocking the plate you will need to clean its internal mechanism.
What the lubricant, in this case the graphite powder, does is hydrate the internal mechanism of the sheet, which helps the complete system work correctly by allowing its parts to move normally and without undue friction.
- The next step is to insert the spout of the graphite powder container through the hole in the lock. Adding as much lubricant as necessary so that the entire internal mechanism is hydrated.
- Once this is done, we will insert the key through the eye of the sheet and turn so that the sheet opens normally.
If we don’t have graphite powder because we haven’t got it, we don’t have the money, or we just want to save ourselves the trouble of looking for it, we can make our own graphite powder.
For this we need a graphite pencil and a knife.
- We must open the pencil, placing it vertically on a smooth surface, we pass the knife over it, cutting it in half or as desired. The idea is to provide you with a cut that leaves the internal graphite free.
- We discard the wood and remove the graphite. To obtain the powder, we scrape the graphite with the edge of the knife, the purpose is to pass the knife over the graphite, without applying much force in this step so as not to break it. We can also crush the graphite with a mortar to create a fine powder.
Once we have the powder, we place it in a container that can make it easier for us to pour it into the eye of the sheet, for example; a container with a dropper tip.
Check door level
One reason the sheets are not working properly is because the door is out of level. The way to verify this is inside the room. So if you can’t open from the inside, do the following:
- Get a hammer to hit the hinge pins.
- If you have the plate on the right hand side, on the opposite side, that is; towards the left hand, we find the hinges. These with so much use usually let their bolts come out. If you find the bolts sticking out, you hit them with the hammer to put them in place.
- It should be started by adjusting from the highest to the lowest hinge, without applying much force so as not to damage them.
Using electric pick
The use of the pick has gone to a new level thanks to technology. Perhaps the use of manual pick will be in the past in a short time, since we now have picks powered by an electric motor that has a battery that can be charged.
Regarding the execution, its implementation is simple:
- We must insert the tension wrench in the eye of the sheet pressing towards where it opens.
- Next, we must insert the electric pick. We turn it on and it will make rotary movements. These movements will hit the pins of the internal system, making them level to allow the plate to open.
This method can be applied to any type of sheet, taking into account that we will not be able to reuse the sheet as we will damage its internal mechanism.
In some cases, drilling the center of the cylinder of the sheet will be enough to open it. In other cases, we must do it above the plate cylinder or below it, depending on where the latch is located. It is important to remember that the latch It is the metal piece that leaves and enters the door once it is open or closed.
- We will use a carbide tipped bit that provides us with enough hardness and penetration to carry out this work.
- Having located the place where we are going to drill, we insert the drill as far as the drill bit will give us.
- With the hole in the sheet, we have to make the cylinder rotate. Which we can achieve with a screwdriver, inserting it through the hole made in the sheet and turning it as if it were the key.
Whichever method we choose, we must be determined and well informed about its application, so that the result is as expected. It is true that many of the techniques are simple, but it all comes down to the attitude we take towards the problem.