How to open an apartment door
If the door is accidentally closed or we cannot find the key to open it, it is an uncomfortable and desperate situation. However, it is something that can happen on a daily basis when we least expect it, be it in the office, at home or in an apartment.
But whatever the place, there will always be techniques that allow you to solve the situation regardless of the type of door and its opening mechanism. Therefore, if the door to your apartment has been closed, or you are trying to access your beach apartment and it does not open, you do not have to worry, you have come to the right place.
The truth is that knowing how to open an apartment door can differ depending on the situation and even where it is located. But don’t worry, everything We will explain that to you below:
If you try to open the door of your apartment without keys
Although it may not seem like it, losing the key is the most common, so in that situation you can use the pick method to open your door.
Lock pick method
It is used to manipulate the mechanical elements of the lock. This tool touches and raises each of the pins, whose parts are part of the internal mechanism of the lock, which, when taking a certain position, hinder the opening.
With the use of the pick, the pins are aligned, leaving the cutting point clear to open.
The picks work with the use of two elements, the tension key and the pick. The first is usually L-shaped, and the second is an elongated lever with a small bend at the tip.
The execution is as follows:
- Insert the longer end of the tensioning key into the bottom of the lock.
- When inserting it, you must push it to the bottom and maintain a little pressure to give way to the pick.
- Now, it is time to insert the pick, placing it above the tensioning key and trying to get it below the pins.
- Once you have the two tools inside, you must maintain the pressure with the tension wrench and with the pick you proceed to manipulate the pins, making upward movements.
- Each time one of the pins is released and takes a linear position, you will hear a small “click”, which will guide the process.
- This must be repeated for each pin that contains the lock, which is generally 5. If the door does not allow the door to rotate when removing 5 pins, you must try once more because it is possible that the lock has 6 or 7 pins.
- Once you have removed all the pins, you take the tension key and turn it as if it were the key to the lock.
If everything has been done properly, the door will open without problems. Otherwise, the process is repeated.
It is important to note that this technique requires a lot of concentration and patience. You must be calm so as not to harm the lock with a bad execution.
If your apartment door is locked
We understand that door locks are simple mechanisms and as such often fail. Sometimes this occurs due to lack of maintenance or due to the location of the apartment.
For example, if it is an apartment on the beach, the lock tends to require more frequent maintenance because the corrosive agents are greater in those areas. Of course, if the door is already closed and you can’t open it, you can use the following technique:
Lubricate the lock
It is nothing to write home about, but an unlubricated lock translates to “securely locked” and more so if it is on the beach, then to open these doors you only need a bottle of lock lubricant.
- Apply the lubricant to the hole in the lock and turn the key over and over again until the entire mechanism gets wet and the door unlocks.
- If by chance the lock is very rusty, you should apply a lubricant in oil, move the key and once you manage to unlock it, disassemble it and clean it, to prevent it from locking again.
If the department door has reinforced security
If our door, in addition to having a cylinder, contains a bolt as reinforcement, it’s time to increase the use of tools to help us open it.
In this case, it is necessary to open the bolt first and then the lock, so that the door opens easily. For this reason, we will use a drill.
With the drill it would be necessary to drill until the pin it contains is broken. So this time we will do the following to remove the bolt pin; which is the piece of metal that secures the door to the frame to keep it closed.
- If you are standing on the outside of the door, you must calculate the height at which the bolt is located.
- Since the door is held in place by the latch pin, you can push a bit and pinpoint its location.
- You take a thin bit and put it into the drill.
- You apply a little metal lubricant to the tip of the wick to prevent overheating.
- Insert the drill into the position where the bolt bar should be.
- Start drilling.
- The idea is to drill the pin to the point that it breaks, so you need to drill several holes a few inches apart so that a cut can occur in the bar.
- Once the pin has been broken, we recommend you proceed to open the lock.
It is important to be totally sure that the bolt is past before trying to split it, since this action also damages the door, which ultimately implies an expense.
It is also essential to be aware that our security depends on locks and bolts as well that the maintenance of these mechanisms cannot be overlooked. Lubricate your locks every 6 months and if it is a beach department door; that is more exposed to environmental agents, that is at least every 3 months.