How to open the door plate stuck
The plate door is widely used for interiors of houses and although they are sometimes used outdoors, they do not provide a high level of security. So, if you have a problem with these types of doors, you must remain calm because all is not lost. In the next few lines we will be explaining some techniques on how to open a locked plate door.
What is a plate door
A plate door is that typical door that looks like a frame, and they are, because they are armed with wood veneers or composites. These doors can get stuck for a number of reasons, including:
- A key that locks: the key cannot turn easily.
- Jammed lock: the key turns to a certain point or completely, but the lock is stuck.
Uneven door: the door locks when you try to open it feels like it is tight, below we will show you how to solve each of these problems:
If we try to open the door and after inserting the key in the lock it does not turn, we must not force it, it could break and a broken key inside a lock is a serious problem, especially if we do not reach the broken piece. We have to avoid this, what should we do?
Check if the key is new because in that case, it may not have been molded to perfection. You could check it by inserting another copy of the key or, if there is a possibility, take another one or have it improved (in case it is a new copy).
If we have not been able to solve the problem we may be dealing with a stuck lock system.
Most plate doors have knob locks, so it is possible that the knob is stuck. We can also find the case that it is the interior mechanism of the lock that is jammed. And whatever example you are facing, a different solution will apply.
We will continue to explain how you can deal with each of the situations presented:
We can start by observing how the door knob or handle behaves, for example, if it is moved by inserting the key and turning it.
If we see that it is not working properly, we must lubricate the lock. This is a routine procedure, we have a mechanical system that can lock easily, dirt, rust, may be some of the influencing factors.
We will lubricate the lock with graphite powder. Graphite powder can be obtained as a spray at hardware or specialty stores. If we don’t have access to it, we can extract it from a graphite pencil.
- We will take the pencil and with a knife or a razor we open it in half, do not try to cut in two halves, we have to open it so that the graphite that is in the center is free.
We can also extract it by sharpening the pencil with the knife and scraping the graphite. In this way we must continue until we obtain a good amount of powder.
- Having done this, with the knife or razor we must scrape it little by little, being careful not to break it, so that there are no large pieces of graphite, we must only obtain a fine powder.
- Once we have the graphite powder we will proceed to introduce it through the keyhole.
If you have bought the graphite, the powder will be contained in a container whose presentation allows us to easily introduce it through the keyhole. If the case is that we have done it and we have a dropper, it can be of great help, if not we simply water it in the tap or we introduce creating a funnel with a paper daughter.
- Once we have lubricated the inside of the lock, we must insert the key and turn it. We can also move the knob and the key at the same time, to help the graphite powder to fade inside the lock.
The latch is that metal piece that opens and closes when we turn the knob, and it can also lock. But we can release it with a plastic card or some object that we can insert between it and the door frame. How do we do it?
- Let’s take as an example that we have gotten a plastic card, which is excellent for removing the latch.
- We will insert it in the slot that is between the door and the frame; place where the latch is located. To make it an ideal solution, we place the card 10 centimeters above the lock, to go down until we find the latch.
- We will apply force on it while tilting to try to insert the card between the latch and the strike. Once inside we make a lever movement so that the latch moves back and allows the door to open.
At this point they can also influence many aspects, among them we mention:
If the door is exposed to moisture, it may have absorbed water, increasing its size, causing it to rub against the frame and make it difficult to open.
If it has been wet recently, we can try to dry it with towels or by connecting a fan or a dehumidifier near the door at a certain time so that it gradually loses the moisture it has and opens easily.
The hinges are on the inside of the door; They are two metal plates joined together by a bolt. What we must do is check the condition of the hinges, if they are well attached or out of place.
In the latter case we can look for a hammer or some object with which we can hit it. When they are back in place, the hinges will work as normal. This procedure must be carried out from the hinge in which it is in the highest position and end with the lowest.
Each method detailed above responds to a specific need, and if we can apply it in the right way, we will probably not have problems with locked doors again. Otherwise, go back to this article to refresh the procedures.